Claim of Veracity: Nothing below is a blatant lie.
I analyze a large sample (n=324) of bridal photographs, and analyze the summary statistics of the sample. I find that, utilizing a set of assumptions about market behavior of firms and consumers, the data supports an estimation that approximately 98% of English-speaking brides are Caucasian.
I make the following assumptions, most of which are reasonable:
- The vast majority of women who get married wear wedding dresses.
- They and their families purchase or rent those dresses from companies who provide the dresses.
- The companies who advertise the dresses use the English language to reach English-speaking brides.
- Those companies also advertise online in addition to other marketing efforts.
- Photography is a personal service, requiring significant communication between the photographer and the wedding party.
- The competitive market drives wedding dress vendors to aggressively sell to the whole bridal consumer market.
- Thus, photographers using real wedding photos to advertise their photography on English websites will tend to present photos representative of English-speaking brides, and the ethnic demographics of photographers' online portfolios will reflect the demographics of their customers.
- And, consumers appreciate when dresses are modeled by models of similar ethnicity. Thus the distribution of observable racial characteristics of online bridal models will reflect the corresponding distribution in real-world brides.
- This sample of the 324 top results from Google Image Search is a representative collection of these companies' marketing efforts.
I find that, as only 5 out of 324 brides in the sample were non-Caucasian, the data supports the estimate that approximately 98% of English-speaking brides are Caucasian. Data is included in the appendix below. The author will refrain from using these results to extrapolate inference on the extramarital personal conduct of non-Caucasian women, in this report.
(click on image to enlarge)
- Accessed Sep 3, 2014 20:00