Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rich Dad Poor Dad

Whew! I've never read a book like this before. By which I mean, I've never read a book by first reading a thick pile of reviews from all sorts of people- that's probably longer than the book itself...

...and maybe even more interesting and useful. Check out this mammoth discussion string at the blog "The Simple Dollar" on Robert Kiyosaki's book, Rich Dad Poor Dad (RDPD). Daggone impressive! I would definitely advise you to read this well-balanced discussion string along with RDPD itself.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/01/26/deconstructing-robert-kiyosaki/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_dad_poor_dad

But, with that qualification, I do recommend RDPD. The book is definitely convincing me to learn about financial investing. It also persuades readers to do comprehensive and open-minded long-term planning, to learn about accounting principles, and to practice austerity of consumption. I am an ecstatic proponent of the latter three points.

RDPD doesn't get into social responsibility, and because it talks a lot about basic human motivations, this is a conspicuous omission. I'll give Kiyosaki the benefit of the doubt, though. The sundry different ideas of social responsibility are all controversial, and this book makes enough controversy for itself already.

No comments: